Trainee Workshop Fitter/Service Technician
Do you enjoy being part of a busy maintenance and repair team? Are you looking for a career with opportunities for training and progression? Would you like to be a part of a company known for our fun, engaging and supportive culture?
If so, this is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to assist in the day to day running of our busy tool and machinery workshop. You will play an integral part in building our reputation for supplying the best construction equipment, maintained to the highest standards.
The Hireman is an independent tool hire company providing construction equipment services to professional contractors working in London and the Home Counties. Established in 1985, we have a successful 38-year track record and pride ourselves on going out of our way to help our customers. Operating from three strategically located depots in Canning Town, Wembley, and Croydon, we currently employ a team of 90 and have plans to grow the business substantially over the next ten years.
What will I be doing?
Working within a workshop-based team of fitters and engineers you will be mentored and supported by experienced fitters to understand and learn how to clean, service and carry out minor repairs on a wide range of electrical and mechanical machinery, how to test functionality and electrical safety and about our range of equipment, processes and industry.
You will gradually take on increased ownership and responsibility and those displaying the necessary ability and commitment will have every opportunity to progress within our organisation.
What do I need?
- Basic knowledge or experience in electrical and mechanical equipment (we are happy to consider candidates with motor vehicle maintenance training or other transferrable skills)
- A good work ethic with honesty and integrity
- Enthusiasm and a good sense of humour
- A positive, proactive and flexible approach
- Strong communication skills
- Able to adapt quickly to support others
- Strong focus and attention to detail
- Willingness and motivation to learn as this is an integral part of the role. You’re not expected to know everything but you must be willing to learn and take direction.
What are we offering you?
- Starting salary of £18,000 – £25,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
- Health cash plan
- Working hours 7.30am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
- 28 days’ annual leave, including bank holidays, rising to 33 days after five full years’ service
- An enhanced contributory Workplace Pension Scheme
- Monthly bonus scheme
- Company workwear, including PPE
- Fresh fruit, snacks, and drinks at our depots
- Free equipment loans and staff discount on purchases
- Regular social events including annual summer and Christmas parties
- A turkey at Christmas (or other seasonal gift)